15 schools win grants to fight obesity | Health
(WXIA) -- The Georgia Department of Public Health has awarded SHAPE grants to 15 schools across Georgia.
The money, which is presented through the Governor's SHAPE Initiative, will be used to develop nutrition and physical activity plans for students.
"These grants will go a long way toward improving childhood fitness and nutrition," Georgia DPH commissioner Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald said in a statement. "We must teach our children the importance ot physical activity and the lifelong benefits of healthy eating, lessons they hopefully will carry with them throughout their lives."
Each school will receive $3,000. The recipients include:
* Morningside ES (Atlanta)
* A. Phillip Randolph ES (Atlanta)
* Carrollton MS
* Gladden MS (Chatsworth)
* Stonewell Tell ES (College Park)
* Conley Hills ES (East Point)
* Riverside MS (Evans)
* Kemp Primary School (Hampton)
* State Bridge Crossing ES (Johns Creek)
* Bryant ES (Mableton)
* Mountain View ES (Marietta)
* Heard ES (Savannah)
* M.E. Lewis ES (Sparta)
* Burke County HS (Waynesboro)
* Port Wentworth ES