Our network

Megan Winters, 7, 'in pain' yet 'feisty' after fall down well | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Megan Winters, 7, 'in pain' yet 'feisty' after fall down well

ATLANTA -- Megan Winters, the 7-year-old girl who fell 50 feet down a well in Carroll County Monday afternoon, is facing more surgery on Friday.

Megan's family describes her, two days after the accident, as a broken, brave and "feisty" little girl determined to recover.

"She's got several casts on right now," following the first round of surgery for multiple fractures to her leg and hip, said a family friend, Michelle Smith, on behalf of the family Wednesday night. Smith said surgery on Megan's broken arm was not needed; doctors were able to treat the arm and reset it without surgery.

"She has pain, she is really, really in pain, right now," Smith said outside Megan's room at Children's Health Care of Atlanta at Egleston.

Even with her injuries, while down in that well Megan mustered the strength to help with her rescue

The surgery on Friday will begin to repair broken bones in Megan's face.

"They're going to have to go in and fix some of the bones that have moved so much that they're not going to be able to heal on their own," Smith said. "Right now (the broken bones) are pinching on nerves in her face."

Michelle Smith and Megan's mom, Melissa Winters, have always been like sisters, and Megan has always considered Michelle to be her "Aunt Michelle."

Megan's mother asked Smith to thank everyone, publicly, once again -- the rescue team and the medical team and all the people who are offering their prayers and good wishes.

And Smith said Megan has a long way to heal.

Megan needs pain medication, but can only receive it in small doses because the medication also slows her breathing.

"As they increase her pain medication, her breathing becomes an issue and it goes down. So it's hard to find a balance. And the nurses and the doctors are doing a really great job at trying to find a balance between treating her pain and ensuring that her breathing is where it needs to be," Smith said.

Megan's eyes are swollen shut.

"She has quite a bit of swelling in her face," Smith said. "She does realize where she is, she is conscious of what happened. And she does recognize voices. When you come into the room she knows who you are."

She delights in receiving visitors.

"I'm optimistic because she's still the same, feisty child that she always has been. Someone came in the room last night, and he said, 'Hey I came to see you,' and she said, 'Well, I can't really see you but I can hear you,'" Smith said. "So that's just typical Megan, she's a very spunky, very smart child. That's still who she is, and it's still good to see that, even in the midst of all this, coming through."

Smith described a 7 year old who is giving strength and hope to all who love her and worry about her.

"It's hard to see her like this," Smith said, fighting back tears, "but I just know that we'll all get through this, and she's still with us, and that's the most important thing, is that she is still with us."

Smith said Megan's recovery at CHOA at Egleston, and her upcoming rehab and therapy at CHOA at Scottish Rite, will take months, at least.

Megan's grandmother, who suffered a heart attack Monday over all of this, was out of the hospital Wednesday and was back home resting.

Smith said the family has only one request:

"Prayers. That's the main thing, right now, is just prayers, prayers, prayers."


Carrollton Businesses